Sunday, September 8, 2013

A Day Out in Rotterdam

When we first suggested the idea of a staycation to M he immediately suggested we visit Rotterdam.  We aren't sure where he got this idea since neither of us really had any idea what was in Rotterdam, but it turned out to be one of the best days of our week.

The day started with a bit of a shaky start--we left a little later than anticipated, look a local train, and had to get off a few stops early to make an emergency pit stop, then wait a half hour for the next train.  This meant we got to Rotterdam ready for lunch and a little discombobulated, but once we figured out which side of the station to exit on we quickly found a nice wine bar and our day turned around.

Our first stop was Euromast.  a 600 foot observation tower that overlooks Rotterdam's famous port, or as we dubbed it, The Dutch Space Needle.   We walked there, taking in some of the ambience of Rotterdam (and wishing we had brought bikes).  Most people who know me know that heights are not my thing.  I have only been to the top of the Empire State Building 3 times, all reluctantly, and all with very good friends to support me.  I will also never forget the look on my parents' faces when I climbed to the top of Blarney Castle (and the subsequent looks of annoyance every time--about 5 million-- I exclaimed my pride at what I had done).

M knows I don't love heights so he told me he'd hold my hand the whole time.  I quickly dismissed him since it was clear my freakish phobia was holding him back.  After a few minutes he and P ascended the stairs to the the second level of the observation deck to board the rotating glass elevator that ascends the final 50 feet to the top.

Next we headed over to Delfshaven, an historic district and one of the few places in Rotterdam that wasn't destroyed in the second world war.  There we visited a working windmill that actually sells flours to the public.  We bought a couple of bags of different flours for 1.30 euro. In the States artisanal flour would have easily been twice that price.

Finally for dinner we stopped at a restaurant in Chinatown. After 15 years in NY I'm a Chinese food snob--I don't eat suburban Chinese food. This was the top notch urban Chinese food I crave. M didn't get to bed until 9:15 which is a new record for him.
The little town where we had a pit stop.    
So little that M had to pee in the bushes.
I love that M has worn his Hyannis Marina
t-shirt throughout Europe!

M had a great time with the screen in the train station where he could chase after rhinos,
astronauts and storm clouds.

The view from Euromast. Yes, I eventually calmed down enough to take this photo.
A door at the top of Euromas twas labelled "stars"
but I think it was meant to say "stairs."

Unfortunately we missed the Lego building event,
but M was still able to get his picture taken with the Lego Friends.

The working windmill where we bought flour.  It was amazing how much noise it made!

Delftshaven was historic, but living in an historic area we were underwhelmed.


1 comment:

  1. An personal economical advisor provides his abilities and solutions to only one organization and gets wage on an employer-employee foundation. The phrase private is used to the economical advisor and the accounting support he provides. Accountant Rotterdam

    ReplyDelete