Monday, July 2, 2012

Back With Big News

Ever notice that people fall out of touch for a while, then re-emerge with big news?  Haven't seen your neighbor for a couple of months? Well look at that, she's pregnant!  Haven't heard from the college roommate in ages?  Uh oh, he's getting divorced.  Coworker been unavailable for lunch?  She's found a new job.  I think people tend to turn inward as they make big decisions or maybe even to digest news before they are ready to share it with the world.

Well, we have some big news here.  No, no babies or divorce.

We're staying in Amsterdam!

A few months ago there were some changes at Peter's company which created a great opportunity for him.  At the same time, the more perspective I got on my job the more I thought it might be time to leave.  And, of course, the more time we spent outside of New York the more we realized how hectic our life was there.

Since our little guy was born almost 5 years ago we have made many different choices to be sure that he could have the best quality of life possible.  When he was 7 months old and I returned from maternity leave I used my vacation to work a 4 day week until his first birthday.  For the next year I worked one day 3-11 so M and I could have a midweek morning together.  We lived in a one bedroom apartment for two-and-a-half years so that we wouldn't have an extra minute of commuting to keep us away from him.  Once we did move Peter and I both adjusted our schedule to pick him up from school once per week.  So, naturally staying in Amsterdam is yet another choice we are making for our kid. Living here gives him a better quality of life.  And believe me, he appreciates that we are staying.


And with my renewed commitment to the blog there will be even more adventures posted for your reading enjoyment.




No comments:

Post a Comment