Friday, July 13, 2012

Food Friday: Beer Can Chicken

I've never made that thanksgiving dish with the winter squash and marshmallows.  My favorite white trash food is Beer Can Chicken. I saw someone make this on the Today show about 10 years ago (it might have been Bobby Flay, but then again it might not have).  He had special seasonings he used and did it on the grill, but basically I just adapted my regular roast chicken recipe and use a half full, opened-with-a-church-key beer can as an upright roasting rack.

My delicious roasting chicken, next to the pot of brown rice I also cooked in the oven so we could go to the playground while it cooked.
I hadn't made this in a while, basically because in the States we didn't often buy beer in cans.  I made it Monday and it was delicious!  I seasoned the outside with onion powder, garlic powder, salt and paprika, removed the top of the beer can by punching it about 4 times with a church key, poured out about half the beer and plunked the chicken on top.  I roasted it for about 90-100 minutes at 175'C, which is about 350'F.  Served it with some brown rice and green beans.

And here's  a big Thank You to my friend Devina, who watched M on the playground for 15 minutes so I could get it started.

At dinner, when I told M how it was cooked he said, "I'm not eating THAT," but when I reminded him he already tasted it and seemed to like it, he changed his tune and said, "I get to taste BEER!"

No comments:

Post a Comment