Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Sailing

Some members of my family are natural sailors.  The jury is still out on me.
From the time I was a little girl my parents liked to sail.  I most decidedly did not.  I think it had something to do with never getting used to the combination of speed, rocking and heeling.  Feeling strongly about continually challenging myself and since my husband and son both like sailing I figured it was important to give it another go so I signed up for a week of sailing lessons and decided to bring my mother along as her birthday gift.

The first day went well.  It was really easy, mainly because there was little wind so the lesson went by at a very slow pace.  I was proud of myself that I was feeling fine on the launch and was able to steer the boat.  Today  I was pretty proud of myself that I steered the boat despite livelier seas and actual wind.  The lesson was a bit more nerve-wracking, but I'm proud of myself by reducing my stress by talking about it with my instructor and sticking with the lesson.

As for Peter and M, they had a nice afternoon out with my parents, Rey and the cousins.  The kids did really well on the boat, despite flying over the wake of a sport fishing boat early in the journey.  M was unfazed:  he later fell asleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment